Review : SkinFood Buckwheat loose powder

This powder deserves a product review..
Love it so much that I'm on my 2nd tub right now!



PRODUCT INFO from SKINFOOD's website:
This loose powder with its soft, fine particles offers a bloomingly radiant, flawless finish.
Buckwheat oil creates incredibly transparent, shine-free skin tone, with silky-smooth texture.

TO USE:
After foundation, dap gently in following order: forehead→eyelids→cheeks→lips.
Press remaining residue gently under eyes.
PRICE: Around Php 800.

WEIGHT : 23 grams
SHADES: Available in 3 shades.
#10 - Transparent
# 21 - Skin Beige
#23 - Natural Beige
# 40 - Lavender

WHAT I LIKE:
* nice coverage, feels lightweight
* good oil control (about 4-5 hours when worn alone)
* packaging holds a lot of product ( lasts me for about 8 mos.)
* texture is not chalky
* didn't me break me out
* I use this for setting my concealer and foundation
* has expiration date printed on the label
* sponge included is very soft!

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:
* its scented! I have Allergic rhinitis and have a very sensitive nose. I'm very particular with scented face products, as much as possible I try to avoid them. But this powder is really good... so I'll keep on using this til I found a good replacement.
* packaging is kinda bulky if you plan to take this around. I prefer touching up using pressed powders ( I use MAC blot or Skin Food's Lemon pact powder).
TIPS:
Be sure to test the powder before buying, my friend bought this product and found out that she's allergic to it!


Always wash/replace the puff. I'm using velour puffs, its very economical since I can wash it many times and still looks good as new. It looks like this..

*image from www.robertjonesbeauty.com*
Bought mine from a local department store, its a Japanese brand. It costs less than php 100 for 2 velour sponges! Not bad noh?! I prefer using a puff to set my concealer and foundation so that I can get more coverage.. and I don't want powders flying around when I use a brush (*sneeze*..*sneeze*)! Just press the puff gently all over your face to set foundation.

ADDICTION FACTOR:
As what I've said, will keep purchasing til I found a good replacement for this.

RATING :4 out of 5

Skin Food Buckwheat Loose powder #21
without flash

with flash
What loose powder are you using?
Can you recommend an inexpensive loose powder that's unscented?
Let me know! =) muah!


19 comments:

donnarence said...

nice review kim.. i am in search for a good loose powder.. I have allergic rhinitis too.. i hate it when a product is overtly scented..

+ S T A R + said...

khymmmmmyyyyyy

nice review! i am listing down all the possible products i must have for the coming holidays...

i do not have any single skin food products :(

are they really good?

Miss Shopcoholic said...

@donnarence - naku, pareho pala tayo! grabe kakaiinis noh?!

@girlwithglasses - hi jing! i only have their BB creams and powder (buckwheat and lemon pact).. i love all of them! =)

Fifi said...

I'm still looking for a good powder to set my makeup. Maybe I should try this.. Thanks for the review!

DinaXYYan said...

i've also done a review on this L/P , and i love it too.
i agree on the oil control, it's pretty good.
yeah, it's kinda bulky so i just use this for setting my foundation and use compact powder to touch up

Krys said...

This was my favorite back when I still used loose powder. Now I stick with pressed because it's less messy. I'm using Skin Food White Grape Light Pact now :D

AskMeWhats said...

wow..second ha? This must be great :) Thanks for the review, I have to visit Skinfood I haven't been doing much shopping lately :)

Unknown said...

um I use maybelline mineral powder. It's unscented and quite good. I have sensitive skin so I prefer this product.

Abby said...

Thank you for the review! I have been lemming on this since years ago, but i decided not to buy this one since it's a bit pricey. I however, opted for the TFS flower line for powders which also has the #21 and the lavender shades. I htink they have the same quality, only that, skin food is a splurge.

Anonymous said...

i love skinfood products the prob is its so hard to find/buy here in the US and ebay doesnt have all skinfood items ... do u know any multiply sites that i can buy skinfood products that ships in the US?

♥ mia said...

i tried this at a skinfood shop and it really is soo soft. but i went with their peach sake powder which was a tad softer pa hihi

their powders really are love!

too bad lng skinfood is so darn overpriced here in manila!

jehan said...

i really wish i could use skin food products. i love their products but everything i tried broke me out... since i'm now into mineral make up, i just wish more and more korean cosmetics brands would really jump into this bandwagon and really produce mineral make up lines...

Soapaholic said...

I use this powder too (among others hehe), and in the same shade.:) We have the same issues! Scented powder + allergic rhinitis = a bad morning. :(

I also have NARS loose powder, it looks great but doesn't do much for controlling oil!

The Glamarazzi said...

Nice photos Kym! :) I sometimes keep a pot of Maybelline's loose powder - not the mineral kind. It was an old set but still works okay. dunno if they still have it though considering they replaced their loose powders with the mineral ones.

K said...

a new lemming! I ordered dr jart silver na! BI! hahaha

does this have a silky texture? Ayoko na ng HD powders parang may something sa texture nila na hindi ko gusto!

Miss Shopcoholic said...

not "too" silky texture, like Palladio's rice powder I guess, but its good in controlling oil..

The Silken Backpack said...

Hey girls! Pre-orders for Skin Food Items are on-going up to May 7. Please check our site http://thedidishop.multiply.com/ for items and prices. Products will arrive on May 12. Prices are super cheap compared to the mall and other re-sellers. Thanks!

Maho Lucil said...

This product helps to keep the make up long lasting. The last time I checked this product cost around $18 or more. You can also apply eye wrinkle creams to reduce the ugly signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles.

Aisa.Paxie said...

nice review! i'd try this!:) can you recommend a good setting powder? i was using bobbi brown's setting powder (that comes with their concealer). Thanks!:)

http://ipaxme.blogspot.com